Friday 7 December 2012

Its Christmas Time...So What?

By Abu Nawas
Its Christmas Time, I know that, buts that because I have marked down each day with a tick on my wall calender in the kitchen starting from January one 2012, when on that day in the screaming sun and heat my next door neigbors and I sat under the Okari tree, shared jokes and laughs, made a fire, skewed up fresh prawns all the way from Daru, and ate it charcoal cooked satay and washed it down with some chilled icy cold white cans. It was a great day so I marked it down with a tick.
Social commentator and satirist Frank A Makanuey

So here is the thing. If I did not mark down the days on my calender, there is no way I would have known that its Christmas time, and to know that December 25 is just a couple weeks away. I would not have a clue that December 25th is just a few short weeks away.

I don't know if my neighbors and every one around me, the people in houses next door, the people in the houses down the street, the people in the houses on the next block and the people I meet everyday know on the way to Hohola, even know that its Christmas time. I mean even if they know its Christmas time, they would not show it.

I casually reside this days at Gerehu (I wanted to be close to Ben Yamai, my brother from another mother), I sell buai at the HLM, I visit Hoks every day. Hoks by the way is short for Hohola, and see my childhood neighbors. Most people there are my age, you know 50 something and some are still virgins. Sadly most of our parents, you know the old people who started living there in 50's and 60's have gone up to heaven. All of them it seems, even my own. Anyway that's what they tell us at funeral services. So I am wondering if truly they have gone to heaven, I won't be surprise if they would have probably already met Jesus in person there. If I know some of them, they are probably gee -ieng up Jesus for a birthday bash. Who knows maybe, a charcoal cooked satay prawns and some chilled ice cold white cans would not go astray.

I am absolutely bewildered and I cannot for the life of me, understand why, it is Christmas time, and no one is showing the spirit of it, and the solemn reason behind the celebration of the Christmas occasion by decorating their houses with Christmas decorations, balloons, lights, and planning gatherings, meetings, dining, like what you would cook, who will cook and so on and so forth. There is no Christmas Trees in most of the houses down my street or at Hohola. They probably don't even know why Jesus conceived by the Holy Spirit and planned to be born, so they can be saved as part of the masses of mankind.

I have heard that Christmas times in Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and even next door in West Papua that it is a big thing. I am told you could feel the excitement in the air. It's electric. Its full of festive mood, glad tidings and good cheer and bidding all around. You could see it in peoples smiling and you could feel it in the handshakes, hugs and kisses. There is a Christmas tree in every house. Decorations and balloons are hung. Mothers go shopping and food are stored away and kept for Christmas. Christmas Carols can be heard from every houses down the street. The most popular Christmas Carol of them all "Silent Night" can be heard blurring from stereo's in many houses down the street and all around. Many different versions of the "Silent Night" is played. My personal favorite is the version with the reggae beat. Its awesome.

I don't see it here, and I cannot see happening and I am wondering why. Is it because, we are not religious like our Pacific Island neighbors? Or maybe that we simply cannot afford to celebrate Christmas, like buying a Christmas Tree, balloons and the rest of the decorations. Are we just too poor to even afford a simple wholesome meal, something different, some thing special. Are we too poor to even afford to buy a special shirt or jeans or dress or whatever to wear on the occasion and celebrate the birth of Jesus, understand his existence, show appreciation, pray, gives praises and eat a special meal. Is lack of money forcing us not to celebrate the meaning of Christmas.

Well I think the sad fact is the most average and below average Papua New Guineans cannot afford to celebrate the Christmas and what it stands for and reason behind. I hope in time we see a change but I doubt it every much. I give up hoping for a change, so what I will do is just get ready and buy firewood, order some prawns from Daru, store some white can cartons, buy ice, clean the esky and wait for event after the Christmas. I will buy a new wall Calender for my kitchen, hung it next to the old one. When January 1, 2013, rolls by, I will mark it down it, take the old calender, the 2012 one, from the kitchen wall, roll it up and use it to light the fire to cook the satay prawns.

Enjoy the festive season, take care, love your spouses, love your children, dont do the things I would do, be safe....and I will see you soon.
From the centre of the Mauswara station, HLM, the paradise of laughter and insanity, here is Wishing one and all a Happy Xmas, & prosperous New Year to you.

Abu Nawas Whispers

No comments:

Post a Comment