Tuesday 9 October 2012

Ruby to contest quest

By Ephata Samuel

“Your destiny is in your own hands. Take each experience as life’s way of moulding you and preparing you to be stronger for something greater ahead,” Ruby-Ann Laufa, an entrant in the Miss South Pacific Pageant–PNG quest, said in an exclusive interview with the Post-Courier late last week.
 
In 2010, Ruby applied to the University of Papua New Guinea to study law and was accepted. However by the end of the second semester, she withdrew when her parents separated.
 
“I found myself really affected by this and it was a truly tough transition in my life,” she said. 

While out of university for a year, Ruby worked with Digicel PNG Ltd, where she met some amazing people and formed close relationships.
 
“Throughout that year of transition, I re-evaluated my life and re-prioritised a lot. I was determined to return to Uni in 2012 and pursue my law degree.
 
“Being in a working environment gave me a great outlook on life. I realised that although my family unit had come to an end, that didn’t mean that my dreams had to end as well,” she said.
 
Ruby-Anne Shantelle Kila Laufa was born on February 13, 1992 in Port Moresby. Her mum Maurice Laufa, is from Lese in Gulf province and her dad, Hane Sepi Nouairi-Schaaf, of Gabagaba in the Central province also has Tongan-German blood. Ruby is the eldest of three girls, the others Sherridan and Rhani Villie-Maina.
 
Her dad is a lawyer and partner with Kundu Legal Services and a senior law lecturer at UPNG. “My father has always been the biggest influence in my life and continues to be so,” she said.
 
Her mum has been with Air Niugini for the past 20 years and is currently a port manager. She was a former contestant in the Miss PNG Red Cross pageant.
 
“It was from her that I learned to always be considerate of other people, to never pass judgement on a person without getting to know them and to always bless someone in need,” she added.
 
In 1998 and 1999, Ruby attended Gordon International school where she did prep and grade one.
 
“It was there that I found my passion for learning, especially through reading. I would borrow a book every week, read and practice writing reports. This has now become a habitual thing today,” she added.
 
From 2000 to 2007, she transferred to Maranatha Baptist Academy at Tokarara wher she did Grade 10.
 
“Here I learnt discipline and developed strong work ethics. Because of my strong performance in school I skipped Grade 6 and went straight into freshman year 7. I also developed a love for basketball and volleyball at Maranatha. I became house captain in year 9 and 10.
 
In 2008, Ruby attended Sunshine Secondary College in the western suburbs of Melbourne, Australia, where she completed Grade 12 the following year.
 
Ruby is most grateful for the full support of sponsors Fresh Water, PBC, Cathy, Malcolm and Shane Johnstone

She also thanks the team affectionately called the “entourage”consisting of Roa Rawa, Nou Vada, Henly Logosa and Merven Rangip, her family and friends around PNG as well as overseas for their encouragement and support in this journey The crowning of the 2012 MSPP – PNG will be held on October 20, 2012 in Port Moresby.

No comments:

Post a Comment